Main Menu Home Residents Businesses Government Visitors Public Agencies Public Safety Maps Transportation Recreation

How Can We Help You?

Department of Aging - Frequently Asked Questions  

St. Mary's County Government Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by  

FAQ graphic
Q: I am not 60; can I attend the Department of Aging classes?

A: Yes, unless the class fills to capacity. Individuals 60 and older would be given preference.

Q: I am not yet 60; can I have lunch at the senior activity center?

A: Yes, the price is $5.00 for individuals under 60. For people 60 and over, lunch cost is by donation. Please make a meal reservation 24 hours in advance.

Q: Is there a fee to join the senior activity center?

A: No. There is no general fee to join the senior center; however, some activities and programs do have fees associated with them. Be sure to ask when you sign up.

Q: Do I have to be a St. Mary’s County resident to take part in activities?

A: No. Senior Center activities are available to anyone regardless of where they live.

Q: How do I get to the Department of Aging Senior Activity Centers?

Click Here for directions

Q: Can the Fitness Card be used for all the classes offered by the Department of Aging?

A: The Fitness Card (FC) can be used for the following classes: Strength Training, Low-Impact Aerobics, Yoga and Tai Chi. Fitness cards may be purchased at any Department of Aging Senior Center. Water Aerobics classes offered at the Great Mills Swimming Pool and the Lexington Park Senior Apartments require separate payment and card. Water Aerobics cards may be purchased poolside from the instructor.

 Q: How may I be placed on your mailing list to get the New Beginning newsletter, and how often is it published?

A: To be placed on the mailing list, click here and download a form, or call 301-475-4200, ext. 1050 to receive a form by mail. The New Beginning newsletter is published every other month; therefore, you can expect to receive it at the beginning of the following months: January, March, May, July, September, and November.

Q: Do I have to fill out a registration form every year? Why?

A: Yes. The information collected is used to prepare federal, state and local reports to justify and improve the programs and services offered. This information provides accurate data for presentation to the Maryland Department of Aging for our funding. St. Mary’s County Department of Aging will not voluntarily share any personal information which identifies you (such as your name, social security number, address or telephone number) with any other person or agency unless required by law. Department of Aging Registration Form

Q: Is there an age limit to take L.I.F.E. classes?

A: No, the L.I.F.E. program is open to all adults.

Q: Do I need computer experience to take any of the L.I.F.E. beginner computer classes?

A: No you do not; however, you need to have access to a computer.

Q: Can respite grant funding be used for housekeeping?

A: Yes. If the client is ill, disabled, or otherwise unable to handle necessary daily chores, respite funds may be used to help with light chores; however, respite funding for chore services is limited.

Q: I have high out-of-pocket prescription drug costs every month. Are there any programs that I may qualify for to help reduce these costs?

A: Yes. There are several programs available to individuals who are on Medicare. There are three factors that determine which program a person may enroll in 1) income, 2) value of assets, and 3) the cost of medications you currently take.  
Senior Health Insurance

Q: Now that full retirement age for Social Security is 65 and 6 months, am I still eligible for Medicare at age 65?

A: Yes. Enrollment is open three months prior and three months after a person’s 65th birthday.

Q: Is there any way I can reduce my property tax bill?

A: Possibly. The Maryland Homeowners’ Property Tax Credit program is available to people of all ages. There are several factors used to determine eligibility, such as household income, amount of property taxes, value of other properties owned, and the value of the home. Applications are accepted from February through September at the St. Mary’s County Treasurer’s Office.

Q: Am I eligible for Meals On Wheels?

A: The St. Mary’s County Department of Aging offers and delivers Home Delivered Meal services (Meals On Wheels/MOW) to the citizens of St. Mary’s County in accordance with Maryland Department of Aging (Maging) Program Directives. Residents are determined eligible for Home Delivered Meal (HDM) services based on the requirements set-forth in the directives which states, (in part), “Home delivered nutrition services shall be available to any person age 60 or older who is homebound by reason of illness or incapacitation…” Call 301-475-4200, ext.1060 for additional information. Meals on Wheels Program

Q: What is AERS, and how does it determine Senior Care eligibility?

A: AERS stands for Adult Evaluation Review Service. AERS is a medical assessment service performed by a nurse from the St. Mary’s County Health Department. The nurse meets with the client, interviews and assesses their needs, and reviews their medical history. The information gathered is recorded in a specific format for the state and is forwarded to the DelMarVa Foundation. DelMarVa Foundation is a state funded agency and is staffed by clinical professionals. Their primary purpose is to review each AERS assessment and make a determination as to whether the client’s medical status meets a nursing home level of care (LOC). If a client meets nursing home LOC, they become medically eligible for a variety of other health related services. Citizens cannot call and request an AERS assessment. An AERS is ordered by the case manager when an applicant is in the eligibility determination phase of a program that requires an AERS assessment.

Q: Can the Fitness Card be used for all the classes offered by the Department of Aging?

A: The Fitness Card (FC) can be used for the following classes: Strength Training, Low-Impact Aerobics, Yoga and Enhance Fitness. Fitness cards may be purchased at any Department of Aging Senior Center.

Q: When does the Social Security Administration representative visit St. Mary’s County?

A: The Social Security Administration currently provides service on the second Wednesday of each month at the College of Southern Maryland Leonardtown Campus, Bldg. A. from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Q: Is there an age limit to take L.I.F.E. classes?

A: Priority is given to people 50 years of age and older who have not previously attended the particular class/tour in the past year.