Volunteer Coaches Background Check
A person will be disqualified and prohibited from serving as a volunteer if he or she has been found guilty or has entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest), regardless of the adjudication for any of the disqualifying offenses. A review process of the disqualifiers will be conducted on an as needed basis and will be reviewed by the R&P Board.
- All Sex Offenses – Regardless of the amount of time since offense.
Examples: Child molestation, rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, sodomy, prostitution, solicitation, indecent exposure, etc.
- All Felony Violence – Regardless of the amount of time since offense.
Examples: Murder, manslaughter, aggravated assault, kidnapping, robbery, aggravated burglary, etc.
- All crimes against children – Regardless of the amount of time since offense.
Examples: Child abuse, child neglect, etc.
- All Felony Offenses other than violence or sex – within the past 10 years from time of arrest.
Examples: Drug related theft, fraud, etc.
- All Misdemeanor Violence – within the past 7 years from time of arrest.
Examples: Simple assault, battery, domestic violence, hit and run, etc.
- All Misdemeanor drug and alcohol offenses – within the past 5 years or multiple offenses in the past 10 years from time of arrest.
Examples: Driving under the influence, simple drug possession, drunk and disorderly, public intoxication, possession of drug paraphernalia, etc.
- Any other misdemeanor within the past 5 years from time of arrest that would be considered a potential danger to children or is directly related to the functions of that volunteer.
Examples: Contributing to the delinquency of a minor, providing alcohol to a minor, theft – if a person is handling monies, etc.
- Open Charges – Persons with any open charges for disqualifying offenses shall be restricted from volunteering until the active case is brought to resolution or the charges are dropped.
By applying for a background check, I understand that any of the above charges, if they appear on my record as guilty, will disqualify me from coaching for St. Mary’s County affiliated leagues and programs.