USS Tulip Monument, June 15, 1940, St. Inigoes
At the behest of Dr. Caleb Jones, Union troops established a refueling
facility on a point of land near Cross Manor. From this station, Union
gunboats could patrol the
which served as a vital crossing of illegally smuggled supplies from St.
Mary’s County to Confederate forces in Virginia. On November 11, 1864,
the USS Tulip, a converted lighthouse tender turned gunboat, departed
from Cross Manor bound for Washington, DC so that its defective boiler
could be repaired. Off the coast of Piney
Point, however, the boiler exploded and the ship subsequently sank.
Eight sailors who perished in the explosion could not be identified and
were buried on the shore
Inigoes Creek near the Cross Manor Union facility. In 1940, a small
monument was erected to mark their graves. Today, the site is publicly