St. Mary's Academy is a well-preserved example of 1930's school
architecture. Decorative brick patterning and Art Deco stone detailing
enliven the exterior of its sober facade. The interior of the Academy,
composed of bright and airy halls and classroom spaces, has been only
slightly altered over the years. Significant both for its period
architecture and for its history as one of the first Catholic schools
for girls in St. Mary's County, the Academy is widely recognized by
countians as a site of great local importance. St. Mary's Academy
stands on the site of Rose Hill, the former estate of Mr. James T.
Blakistone. First opened in September of 1885, the Academy served St.
Mary's County students continuously until its closure in 1981. The St.
Mary's Academy classroom building is now the centerpiece of a
redevelopment plan which features the rehabilitation of the Academy as a
branch of the Charles County Community College.